Sunday, June 22, 2014

Tenth Doctor and Romain the Racer revisited

I have had a lot of family stuff going on and had not made any new snails this year. That is until now. Here is my latest, the 10th Doctor as a snail. He is the 148th snail that I have made since 2011.

Doctor 10

Someone asked me a while back for photos showing more of Romain the racer's face so I took these today.

Romain the racer

Romain side view

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Works In Progress aka playing

work in progress photo
Today I will be finishing these and then start making plants to fill them with. To give you an idea of the size, they are resting atop golf tees.

Saturday, June 7, 2014

How I made my roombox

I wanted a roombox in which to photograph my miniatures. So I made this, sorry there are no step-by-step photos but I will try my best to describe how I made it and what I used.

Roombox Display

My husband had some 3/4 inch plywood left over from one of his projects so I just used that for the "room". It is dollhouse scale so 1 inch = 1 foot. The living room in my house has 10 foot ceilings but I decided to go with 8. So the room is 12 x 12 x 8 inches high.
  I cut 3 pieces of plywood, one is 12 x 12 inches for the floor and 2 walls that are 8 x 12 inches. I sanded the pieces and keeping them square I attached them together with wood glue and finishing nails. After the wood glue had dried I painted primer on the entire thing inside and out.

The wood floor was made with skinny craft sticks I picked up in the craft department at Walmart. They are the perfect width for my floor. If you ever use them always buy more than you think you will need because some in the pack may be warped. You will have to look at them carefully so as not to use the warped ones.
  I cut the pieces to length and glued them down with wood glue. Then I sanded, stained with minwax stain and let dry completely. Sanded again, re-stained and after it had dried completely I put on a coat of polyurethane.

The damask wallpaper I bought at SydneyStyle on etsy. I have also purchased fabrics from this shop. Everything she has is beautiful and perfectly to scale. I love the shop because she has things I have not found anywhere else.

For the baseboards I looked at life size baseboards for actual homes and found one I liked. I scaled it down to dollhouse scale and replicated it using mat board. It sands very easily so I was able to get the curves. Before painting and attaching it I did several sample colors to see which one I would prefer and chose antique white.

The table set is made from a chrysnbon kit that I painted to look like black lacquer.
The bowl and plant pot I made using techniques I learned from 1 inch minis by Kris. It is a wonderful tutorial blog. She usually posts one tutorial a month.

The fruit in the bowl was made by a long time friend of mine, Into The Dawn aka An Enchanted Dawn. I made the palm plant. I use soil made for model train landscapes. I tried the drying out tea leaves and also coffee grounds. It is a little bit humid here and even leaving in the oven turned on 250ยบ overnight did not prevent it from eventually molding. Ick! I can only imagine what happens in a more humid climate. I never made anything using it because of this. The stuff made for model train landscaping is not that expensive when you consider how very little of it is used.