Thursday, March 17, 2016


I am currently in the process of completely rearranging my little studio so that I can have not only better lighting but also better storage space for my supplies. Hoping to have it all completed by the end of the weekend. So for now, throw back Thursday...

This is Ophidia, a stained glass mosaic lamp I made and attached to an antique base in 2005.


Ophidia lamp

Ophidia lamp lit

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Oak King's Bowl

I made this back in 2003 for my baby sister. It is a large gourd. I used a knife, dremel, wood burner, Prismacolor pencils and a spray fixative to make it. It is completely my own original design.

 photo oak kings bowl_zpsshqhghut.jpg

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

DIY custom candle holders

This project idea came from a tutorial link I found on Pinterest. I made 2 of these and took one outside to get a better photo of it than I could get on my work table.

 photo diy candle holders_zpsviksl6x3.jpg

It is supposed to look like sea glass. It does not, but I do like how they turned out so will keep it on.
The tutorial called for mixing food coloring with matte Modge Podge. I used blue and green, more blue than green.
The tutorial called for painting it on with one of those craft foam brushes. That was a big fail! It painted on too thick and even after 3 days did not completely dry in spots. I soaked it in hot water for a while and thankfully it peeled right off. In one sheet. That was pretty cool.
 So I tried again, this time with a cheap, soft paint brush. One that came in a pack of 15 brushes for $7 in the craft department of Walmart. This worked much better.
After it dried it looked like tinted glass, not sea glass. My husband loved them but this photo I took today is after painting a 2nd coat and letting it completely dry. Still looks like tinted glass but not quite as transparent as before.
I actually like it and next I am going to spray them with Krylon Crystal Clear to protect the finish from coming off when they are washed. 

p.s. To make these candle holders I bought the bowl and stem separately at Dollar Tree (on the candle aisle) and attached them with e6000 glue.

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Oven Dresses

A friend gave me the pattern and directions for these oven dresses. I made them back in 2008. The ones with bird houses were made for my mom. The sunflower ones I made for my sister-in-law. Never got around to making one for myself. I had almost forgotten about them but still have the pattern in my sewing stuff so may do it now.

The bottom of the dress is a kitchen towel. Same with the center on the matching apron. The tops are cotton fabric. If you want to make some I bet you could google "oven dress pattern" and find it online for free somewhere. You just embellish it any way you want. I used antique buttons and some lace.

4Lori bday

oven dresses